Welcome to PTAWUG
Make sure you have a static IP configured on your computer’s network card.
Make sure the light on the router board is on, and it has beeped twice.
Download Winbox from http://download2.mikrotik.com/winbox.exe
Make sure that ALL firewalls are disabled on your PC, it might stop winbox from connecting to the router board
Run the winbox.exe program.
Click on the browse button next to connect.
Then select the only entry that should be in there (your routerboard’s MAC address).
- UPGRADE YOUR ROUTEROS AND SET WIRELESS PROTOCOL TO ANY, guide: http://www.wug.za.net/wiki/index.php/HowTo:NV2
- Click Interfaces. Select wlan1. Then click on enable (The blue tick button)
- Double-click wlan1.
- You need to click the Advanced Mode button on the wlan1 screen first to see the country settings and radio name settings.
- Change the country setting to South Africa (If your country is not set to South Africa, you won’t pick up any PTAWUG signals)
- Change the Band to 5Ghz-A/N.
- Change Radio Name to your nickname that you will use on the WUG.
Once you are done:
- Click on Scan and turn the antenna slowly looking for a SSID that starts with www.ptawug.co.za. Mikrotik automatically scans all the frequencies in the 5ghz range, so it does not matter on what the frequency is set.
- Easiest way to scan is to sit on the roof with your laptop while turning the antenna. Align your antenna until your signal is the best you can get it (closer to 0 is better, eg. -60 is better than -80).
- Try to get your signal between -50 and -75, you will not be allowed to connect if your signal is above -45 or above -80
- Please note that a grid antenna is very sensitive, a mm either way makes a huge difference in signal, thus the antenna needs to be mounted on a stable pole before scanning.
-90 = really bad (can not connect)
-80 = bad (cut off)
-70 = average
-60 = good
-50 = awesome!
Once you have found a www.ptawug.co.za/XXSector_X SSID click on the SSID and click connect, then make sure the scan is stopped, you wont be able to connect while a scan is running. Click close. You must be connected to a PTAWUG ssid before u ask for IPs. You are connected if winbox says “connected to ess” (see picture above as example), then come on IRC to get IPs. Remember that you as a user have to connect to a SSID that has “Sector”, “Omni” or “Panel” in the last part of the SSID, users are not allowed to connect to backbone grids.
You can also use the Align feature in Winbox to use the sound the router board makes to align perfectly (like a metal detector). Click here for a tutorial. Please not that your band needs to be set to 5ghz and not to 2ghz as shown in the tutorial from mikrotiks site.
- Switch on and log into the router board/router